Graston Method Physical Therapy is a manual therapy that helps in pain relief and muscle relaxation. It is a type of deep tissue massage that uses stainless steel instruments to penetrate the skin and muscle tissue.
The Graston Technique, which was developed by Dr. David Graston and Gary Brace, is used in
treating chronic pain conditions such as plantar fasciitis, sciatica, tendonitis, iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS), and more.
Graston Technique brand instruments detect and amplify the tactile feel of soft tissue restriction to the hands, like how a stethoscope amplifies the sound of a heartbeat. It uses stainless steel with 6 different instruments for different techniques and areas of your body.
Below are 5 reasons to consider trying a Graston treatment:
1. Patient can feel the abnormal tissue texture. When the instrument is used, you can feel the ripples of the tissue, which indicates to both the patient and the therapist, that they are focusing on where the problem is.
2. Restore gliding between tissue layers to allow better motion. If your tissue layers stick together, you have a lesser range of motion and cannot move properly.
3. Enhanced blood perfusion. Blood flow can’t get into the muscle structure when a muscle is tight. Increasing your blood flow will allow your body to better heal itself.
4. Realigns scar tissue from trauma and surgery. Like when you try to get your fingers out of a Chinese finger trap, and the fibers moving in different directions make the trap tighter on your fingers instead; Graston can help realign the fibers of your scar tissue, so they don’t get stuck and strangle the injured area.
5. Decreased treatment time and reduced need for anti-inflammatory medication. Graston treatments promote good blood circulation, and with that new blood flow, there are new oxygen cells helping the healing process.
Graston treatments can also be used on injuries such as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Plantar Fasciitis, Tennis Elbow, Shin Splints, achy joints, etc.
Our Sport & Spine Physical Therapy team is professionally trained in the Graston technique and can help you better manage your pain. Give us a call to schedule your appointment today!